Sunday, October 19, 2008

Saint John, New Brunswick


Saint John, New Brunswick was our second port and we didn't have anything planned so we just started walking around the city. We visited the old City Market, which was actually an indoors farmers market. In each port we discovered old cemeteries and beautiful churches. On our walk we came across an interesting museum. It was a house built by a British Loyalist in 1817. The house was occupied by six generations of the same family for over 150 years.

These flowers were in the city gardens which also contained a cemetery. I was fascinated with the old headstones, so many of them were for such young people.

St. John's or the Stone church was built in 1825. It was an early Gothic revival church.


Dulse is an edible algae that they eat as a snack in parts of Canada. We didn't sample it, but heard that it tastes terrible. Many people were buying it at the market so it must be an acquired taste. The market had almost every kind of seafoofd you could imagine, including the octopus Ken is eyeing in the picture below.











This buffet is an example of the fine antiques in the Loyalist house. The small chest on top of the buffet is an old tea chest in pristine condition. It was featured on an Antique Roadshow several years ago and valued at between $20,000 and $30,000. The old fellow giving us the tour casually picked it up and showed us the lead lined interior, which probably slowly poisoned those drinking tea from the leaves stored in the chest.



The piece pictured below was just one of the intersting commodes in the house. Each bedroom had it's own unique chamberpot.






















6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a great time, but I have to ask...did you take notes or do you just remember all of that.

Susan said...

It's my photographic memory.

Unknown said...

this coming from a woman who doesn't remember making her grandaughter a baby blanket

Susan said...

Okay, I'll confess. I take pictures of the plaques and signs next to the buildings so I can remember what I saw. I can't remember jack s _ _ t on my own!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

what an interesting post! and i never saw anything like that last photo! amazing.

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxxoxoxoxo

Joan said...

I love traveling and I love Farmer's markets. I would have had fun there. We are contemplating a cruise in March through ports of Mexico. I have never been on a cruise and am a little frightened to go but I am leaning toward going. Everyone I have ever talked to loves it but the ocean is not one of my favorite parts of this world. Talk me into it.

Joan