Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering the day


The day of September 11, 2001 is as fresh in my memory as if it happened yesterday. I was getting ready for work and Ken was having a cup of coffee, he turned on the TV just as they were announcing on the Today show that a plane had flown into the world trade center. He shouted up to the bathroom to tell me the news and I thought "how awful" and went on blow drying my hair. When I entered the kitchen they were showing the 2nd plane hitting and we both looked at each other and said "what the hell?" From that moment and for days after we were glued to the television set, horrified by the images we were being shown. As awful as that day was, it was also a time that the United States truly was "united". Along with all the horrible images, stories of true heroism emerged. For a time people were more compassionate and caring. It's hard to imagine, here on the plains of Montana, the fear those living near the attacks must have felt. Our fear was more of what would happen to our country in the days to come. But America survived and our lives have gone on, changed in some ways by the events of the day, but I still believe we are the greatest nation on earth and I thank God that I am fortunate to be living here.

2 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i was watching katie too, i still remember what she said. "oh no i bet there might be several hundred people in there." understatement of the day...

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Joan said...

I watched so much TV then that I was crying all the time and had to turn the TV off. I have a tendency to take on other people's heartaches so I have to be careful. I could never be a social worker.

Joan