Monday, September 22, 2008

MY NEW FAVORITE KITCHEN GADGET

Who would pay $14.95 for an avocado pitter? I had seen them in kitchen stores and thought there must be a better way to spend fifteen dollars. However, after the pain and agony of 4 stitches in the palm of my hand and a $600 emergency room visit, I spent the $14.95 for the pitter and I love it!



The round green end removes the pit and the other end makes perfect (or near perfect) slices



My favorite way to eat one is plain, with a little lemon juice and salt. But when I find four or five good ripe avocados (doesn't happen often in our little town) I make a shrimp and avocado salad.


I found this recipe in a magazine when we were in Seattle on vacation many years ago. We were camping in our tent trailer and I made it for dinner one night. It has become a huge family favorite.

1-12 oz. pkg shelled and deveined frozen shrimp
2/3 cup chopped celery
½ cup chopped green onion
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
½ tsp. lemon rind
1 ½ tablespoon white vinegar
½ teaspoon celery seed
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
4 medium avocados

Cook shrimp. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Drain again. Pat dry with paper towels. Place in large bowl, stir in celery and onions. In small bowl combine, oil, lemon peel and juice, vinegar, celery seed, salt and pepper. Pour over shrimp and toss well. Cut avocados in half. Scoop out avocado, leaving ½ inch shell. Coarsely chop avocado and stir into salad. Divide among avocado shells and spoon dressing over top. Yummy!

7 comments:

Jennie said...

I'm glad I don't have to worry anymore about you stabbing yourself pitting avacados. The salad was delicious. I'll bet I never have it again without remembering you in the ER with the guts hanging out of your hand.

Teresa said...

Very good buy Susan. Had I known where to get one or even what one looked like I would have bought one for you.

Yeah... I was kinda grossed out the minute Brenda said "it looks like guts are hanging out" I'm sure the salad would have tasted ALOT better had that not happened. I hear or see blood and I'm sick! Just a couple weeks ago on Ethan's class field trip to the mountain a little boy bumped his head on a rock, when I went to see if he was ok... HAND FULL OF BLOOD! So there he was laying down bleeding and there was I was sitting on a rock with my head in between my knees trying not to make a fool of myself by passing out! What a helpful Mother I am on field trips...

stephanie said...

That could be the best 15 dollars you have ever spent. Now you just have to remember to use it and hope it doesn't get lost in the back of the drawer like half of my cool cooking gadgets!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

ouch!!! and my gosh that recipe sounds delicious!!!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Unknown said...

Your're almost at the pioneer woman status on blogging. I'm so proud.

Joan said...

Susan, how do you cut yourself fixing an avacado? I cut them in two and then use a spoon to scoop out the pit and also to scoop out the avacado. Was it just a freak accident? So sorry for your boo-boo. I have used an egg slicer to cut them up too.

Joan

Unknown said...

Only you - that's all I can say. Thanks for sharing the recipe - it sounds good. Hope you've fully recovered. I love reading your blog.