Monday, February 2, 2009

Surviving Chucky Cheese











When Colette told me she was going to have Caelen's birthday party at Chucky Cheese, the memories of going there with my own children (back then it was called Showbiz Pizza) flashed through my mind and I instantly felt a headache coming on. For those of you lucky enough not to know about Chucky Cheese, it is an over-priced pizzeria, a child's fantasy land and a parent's living hell.


The cost of the party sounded do-able to Colette as there were only six kids invited. Of course, those six kids had parents who attended, and there were grandparents and a couple of friends who didn't want to miss this adventure and suddenly the cost of the party is 2 1/2 times the original price. I thought Colette was going to go into shock when she got the total bill.

The original cost of the party included two one-topping pizzas, 6 children's drinks, a small cake and twenty tokens per child. Using those tokens in the game room is where the real fun begins, along with grandma's headache.
Walking into the game room, you're suddenly bombarded by the sound of screaming kids, laughing kids, crying kids and they are everywhere, you can't take a step without running into one of them. Add to that the ding, ding, ding of the games, the pounding of "bop the gopher on the head" game, and well.......you get the picture.

Surprisingly, I handled the noise and confusion much better than I did thirty years ago. Maybe I'm developing more patience in my old age.

5 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i can't say as i have ever had this particular pleasure but had one in a mcdonalds once, that was bad enough! ha ha

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Gran said...

One thing that you failed to mention in your very apt description is how horrid the pizza is. One of my nieces had a party or two there and at one of them she ran toward Chucky (guy in a costume) to give him a hug and he didn't see her so when they met, she want flying. It was very tramatic for her. The kids love it but don't go hungry - eat before you take your life in your hands.

Unknown said...

Emilee always called it Chunky Cheese. I though that name fit it well. The girls went there once and have never asked to go again.

brenda said...

What we won't do for grandkids. Caelen looks like she was having a good time.

Jennie said...

I haven't been to Chucky Cheese since Nathan was really little. He got lost in that stupid overhead plaything, and I had to climb up and find him. Every time since when he asks to go there, I bribe him with a trip to Toys R Us instead.