Monday, February 16, 2009

Dirty Harry in His Golden Years

Ken and I celebrated Valentine's Day by driving to Miles City for dinner and a movie. We haven't had a movie theater in our town for over ten years so our movie dates are few and far between.

We both wanted to see Gran Torino, starring Clint Eastwood, so the choice was easy. Actually, there was no choice, as there is only one theater in Miles City. I really do live in the sticks. The movie gets its title from a vintage car belonging to Eastwood's character. He plays a crotchety old bigot, grumbling about all the Asians who have moved in and taken over the old neighborhood. His prized 1972 Gran Torino is a magnet for the local gangs.

Clint Eastwood has always been one of my favorite actors, from the time he played Rowdy Yates on Rawhide. He has said this will be his last acting role. That's sad to me because even at age 78, I think he still has it.

I really liked this movie and would highly recommend it. Be forwarned though, you may not like it if you're offended by raunchy language.

When Walter Kowalski stands on his lawn and growls in his raspy voice "get off my lawn" you can almost imagine it sounding a little like Dirty Harry's "make my day".

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Rick really wants to see that show but he was also warned about language. If it seems to "fit" the movie, I can get past it but sometimes it's all I hear. We'll probably wait until it's on DVD. Took the older granddaughters to Coraline in 3D. It is really a cute show!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i loved him in bridges of madison county!!!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo