Tuesday, March 3, 2009

How Appropriate is This?

Being the mathematical geek that I am it is only appropriate that this applies to my birthday today.

Count on Tuesday's alignment of the calendar to add some excitement to the lives of at least a few math geeks.

Tuesday is Square Root Day, a rare holiday that occurs when the day and the month are both the square root of the last two digits of the current year. Numerically, March 3, 2009, can be expressed as 3/3/09, or mathematically as √9 = 3, or 3² = 3 × 3 = 9.

"These days are like calendar comets, you wait and wait and wait for them, then they brighten up your day--and poof--they're gone," Ron Gordon, a Redwood City, Calif., teacher who organized a contest intended to publicize the event, told the Associated Press. The prize, or course, is $339.

Celebrants are expected to mark the occasion by cutting root vegetables into squares or preparing other foods in the shape of the square root symbol. I think I'll find another way to celebrate.

Square Root Day occurs only nine times in a century. The last one occurred on February 2, 2004, and the next will occur in seven years on April 4, 2016.

6 comments:

Gran said...

So, let me get this straight. Are you saying you're that amazing? Are you saying that you're that geeky? Or are you saying that you're that square? Hope it was a great day! Happy Birthday!

Kathye

Jennie said...

Not only are you the pretty one but the smart one as well, and maybe even a little bit of the "nerd one". Just kidding sis, hope you are having a great b-day!

Pops said...

Every year on this day I think about you but never think hard enough to remember to send a card...but happy birthday cousin!
Linda

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

oh here it's over before i knew about it! drat!

smiles, bee
xxoxoxoxoxoxoxoox

Teresa said...

I had no idea what a nerd you were! But that is pretty cool I guess.

Kim said...

And you say you hate Math...The funny thing is that Mr Ramsey and I spent about 30 minutes talking about square root day cause it's just SO cool!! I guess I'm a true math geek (like my mom)