Saturday, November 15, 2008

Grandma's Playroom

When our third child left home and we were down to only one at home I decided to turn one of the extra bedrooms into a doll room. I'm not sure where this idea came from as I was never big on playing with dolls as a young child but I thought they would be a fun thing to collect.

A very good friend of mine made this wall hanging for me when I first started the room.


None of my dolls are very expensive and I'm sure they're not collector items. Most doll collectors keep their dolls in the original box but I didn't want that. I like to have them out collecting dust and losing their value. People started buying me dolls for Christmas and my birthday so it didn't take long to fill the room.



These are the largest dolls I have. They stand about two feet tall. My mom bought them for me for Christmas.



I also like miniatures so I am always looking for things to add to the room. The blue tea set was found in Aruba, it is a dutch island and the tea set is the dutch delft pattern. It's hard to see but on the top shelf is a tiny blown glass set I found in Mexico.



Penny and Sylvia were my first two dolls. I bought them late one night while watching the shopping network. (I know I really need to get a life) Sylvia is the one in blue, my daughter Colette never liked her because she thought she looked snooty.







This is another set I bought although they are bigger than most miniatures. They were purchased from ebay just because I thought they were pretty.



This lemonade set is one of my favorites. I found it in a small antique shop in Colorado. They are not antiques but that didn't matter to me.



I used to look for dolls all the time when we were on cruises and could never find them, especially in the Caribbean. I did find this doll in Peurto Rico and she is one of my favorites and one of the most expensive. She has a really pretty face.


This Princess Diana doll was purchased at a benefit auction, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bought it. I like her dress but I don't think they captured her face well at all.





One night when I was up late, again watching the shopping channel, I saw this doll advertised as one they would be selling in the next hour. I bought her at about 2 o'clock in the morning! She is a Titanic character and she has a beautiful face. By the way, I never watch the shopping channels anymore.




My daughter Kim used to make these button babies. She sold them at craft fairs but like her mother, she got tired of doing them and has moved on to other endeavors.






My only bride doll.



A few of my favorites.



I found this rocking horse in an antique shop in North Carolina. We were flying so I had to ship it home, cost me almost as much to get it home as it did to buy it. I don't know how much of an antique it is, but I like it.

Of course, you can't have a doll collection without some Barbies. Most of these are Colette's. When I realized how much more valuable they are if you leave them in their original boxes I quit taking them out.
This room tortures my poor little grandchildren because they aren't allowed to go in without grandma. We do have an occasional tea party in there.

5 comments:

Jennie said...

I still love dolls and don't have any girl grand babies to buy them for, so I buy them for Ethan. I love your playroom. Can I come over and play Barbie's some time?

Susan said...

No, the Barbies are only to look at. You know the rules.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

penny is my favorite! but i want to play with them, i don't like the rules! ha ha ha

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Laurel said...

I think it's great that you have devoted a room to something you love!

Joan said...

Susan, I LOVE the tiny lemonade set. I want to be a little girl again sometimes just so I can play again. I started collecting dolls too. I had a friend in Billings who made beautiful procelain dolls and I got two of hers. I also had a Norman Rockwell doll that I had ordered but broke her somehow. One of the others also got broken by a granddaughter and now I am down to one again. I have one that I made at a class but she is not done and might not ever get that way. I think that collection is done. I collect Santa Claus' though and have about 70 of them. Nice to have a room so you can go look at them whenever you want. My Santa collection sleeps in the attic for 11 months of the year. Maybe I need a Santa room. Good post!