Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Final NY hours

St. Paul's Chapel was where George Washington prayed the morning of his inauguration and where he worshipped the two years that the capital of the United States was in New York City.
Pictured below is his pew.
While walking to the subway we passed Fraunces Tavern. Established in 1762, the tavern became a meeting place for leaders of the revolution. George Washington became a personal friend of the owner and it was here that he gave his "farewell to the troops" address.

After a somber morning at Ground Zero we wanted to lighten our mood so we headed over to Wall Street and the NY stock exchange. Not exactly a place thats going to cheer a person up. The week we were on our cruise was the infamous "worst week" the stock market had since the depression.


This trio of unemployed financial businessmen were performing for money outside the NY Stock Exchange.



Television cameras were set up on the steps of the Federal Building to record this historic day when the Dow Jones Industrial soared to a 936-point gain. (And we were there!)




Ken follows the stock market faithfully and was patting the bull's head for a little reassurance that things would get better.



I, on the other hand, just grabbed the bull by the balls!



Now we're talking. My mood suddenly lightened when we came upon the famous Times Square Naked Cowboy. He has been singing and playing his guitar in the middle of Times Square every day, rain or shine, for the past ten years. I knew he was famous but no one around here has ever heard of him. Have any of you?



We passed by the Ed Sullivan theater where David Letterman tapes his show. Ken and I aren't real big fans of Letterman but there was a crowd forming around the corner from the theater so we decided to see what was going on.



Ken had never heard of Rupert and the Hello Deli , but I have watched Letterman enough to recognize the deli that he frequently features on his show.


I went in to get us a drink and had my picture taken with Rupert. Does anyone know who he is? This is the only semi-famous person I have ever been pictured with.


These Orange County Choppers were parked outside the side entrance to the theater and we were told that Letterman was going to tape part of his show outside. We decided to wait around and check it out. So we waited and waited and waited... for this...a quick glance at Paul Sr. and his son Mikey from OCC. I'm not a fan so it wasn't too exciting to see them, but the choppers were nice. We also saw Sarah Silverman who was a guest on the show. I had her picture on here ready to post but it disappeared. Where do they go? It was here and now it's gone. Ken didn't know who she was but I read enough tabloids that I recognized her.
That is how we spent our last couple of hours in NYC! We did have a wonderful time on this trip and I would do it all over again, even all the walking.




















8 comments:

Joan said...

Susan, I watch Letterman all the time and of course I know about the Deli and Rupert. He's a star! He does a lot of silly stuff for Dave now and then. I have seen and heard the the naked cowboy on TV many times. Now, you "usually" grab the bull by the balls? Do I need to worry about you? Or feel sorry for Ken or congratulate him?
LOL

Joan

Susan said...

Joan, I am so glad you have heard of Rupert and the naked cowboy. I couldn't believe how many people around here didn't know of either one.

And the grabbing the bull by the balls....what else could I say about that picture! LOL

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teresa said...

Hey I've heard of the Naked Cowboy. And I've seen Rupert on Letterman lots of times... I can't believe you met Rupert! That is so cool! I would have been excited to see Paul Sr and Mike, I watch their show sometimes. And I'm proud of you for grabbing that bull by the balls... but we all know that my obsession with bulls balls runs deep!

Sounds like it was an awesome trip!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

wow you sure can pack in a bunch of stuff in a day honey! good for you! and i have heard of rupert and the naked cowboy but not seen them in person!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Unknown said...

Looks like fun. Chris will be excited (yah I am a little too) that you saw the OCC guys. Yes, I have heard of the naked cowboy.

Laurel said...

I know of both Rupert AND the Naked Cowboy! And I'm jealous! You had quite the NYC experience!!! Also, the bull has a great shot in the movie Hitch. I recognized it right away.

Unknown said...

You haven't blogged in awhile. I'm worried!!