Sunday, November 1, 2009

Soup and Bread

I had to do another post right away so that the picture of the awful snakes wasn't showing whenever my blog was opened. Halloween night I made this soup for dinner along with the bread shown below. I thought it was delicious and want to share the recipe.

Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup

1 pkg. sweet Italian sausage (1.25 lb size) I used hot sausage
1 onion chopped
1 clove garlic minced
2 lg cans diced tomatoes
4 cans beef broth
1 1/2 cups red wine
2 lg. carrots chopped
1 pkg. frozen spinach (thaw and drain)
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. oregano
1 pkg dried cheese tortelline (I used the fresh 5-cheese tortellini from Costco)
shredded Parmesan cheese

Remove casings from sausage and discard casings.
Brown sausage, onion and garlic in a large dutch oven, stir until sausage crumbles and is lightly brown. Drain and return to pan.

Add tomatoes, broth and wine, bring to a boil. Add vegetable and herbs. Stir, reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes

Add the torellini and cook for 15 to 20 minutes if using dried tortellini. If you use the fresh, as I did, you will only need to cook it for 7-8 minutes.

Garnish each serving with parmesan cheese.


I served it with this delicious oatmeal molasses batter bread. Easy to make and really good with soup.



Oatmeal Molasses Batter Bread

2 pkg. yeast
2 tsp. salt
5 cups flour
1 cup quick cooking oats, uncooked
1/2 cup molasses
1 tablespoon margarine or butter

Combine yeast, salt and 2 cups of the flour in a large bowl. Set aside. In a 2-qt pan mix the oats, molasses, 1 T. butter add 2 1/4 cups water. Heat over low heat until very warm (120-130 degrees) . With electric mixer on low speed, gradually beat liquid into flour mixture, just till blended. Increase mixer speed to medium and mix for 2 minutes. Beat in 1/2 cup flour and beat on med for another 2 minutes. With a large wooden spoon, stir in remaining 2 1/2 cups flour to make a stiff batter that leaves the sides of the bowl. Cover bowl loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place until double in size, about 1 hour. Grease two 2-qt. round casserole dishes. Divide dough into equal portions and turn into casseroles. With greased hands, turn dough to grease top and shape each into a ball. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise about 45 minutes, until double in size.

Place in a pre-heated 350 degree oven and bake for 40 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove from casseroles and serve warm.

(There is only 1 gram of fat in each serving and no cholesterol)

9 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

looks delicious! now did you make any cake for dessert? ha ha ha

smiles, bee
xxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Joan said...

You domestic goddess you. I am truly impressed. I will skip the hot sausage...my mouth just can't handle it, but the oatmeal bread looks delicious. mmmmmm

Jennie said...

That looks so yummy. I think you should come down and make it for us.

stephanie said...

Jennie, when I was looking at the first picture I was thinking, I'm going to tell her to come down and make that! It looks really good Aunt Susan. If you keep posting pictures of stuff like that you'll have a house full of guests!

stephanie said...

p.s thanks for moving the snake picture down...it was icky!

Laurel said...

Mmmm...look delish! I am a complete soup fan. I will have to try it!

Laurel said...

Mmmm...look delish! I am a complete soup fan. I will have to try it!

Laurel said...

And by the way: I loved your story about my dad on Halloween. I had never heard that. I read it aloud to my kids, and they thought it was hysterical. I love sharing stories about my dad with them. I wish they had known him in life. Thank you for sharing that with me.

Kim said...

Tucker was very impressed with the soup but even more so with the bread. He kept saying that I need to get make G'ma's "brown bread". Now I know what he was talking about.